Thursday, January 26, 2012

Some like it hot ...

All my life I've never been much for sweets or desserts.  Don't get me wrong, I occasionally will get a hankering for something sweet but not very often. Anyone who knows me well can attest to this.  As far as snacking goes, I'd rather have something spicy, cheesy, crunchy, or salty.  I'm a real fan of jalapenos or anything with buffalo sauce on it.  I've also converted Grumpy Gus (aka my husband) to be able to handle a little more heat than he used to.  With that being said, you probably won't find many dessert, cookie, cake or pie recipes here.

One of my all time favorite recipe sites is Allrecipes.com.  I spend alot of time here. About 2 or 3 years ago I stumbled across what might be my favorite appetizer/snack recipe.  I'm good for a batch about every 4 weeks. Its been quite a while since I've made it.  I put this together the other night and brought it to a friends house when we got together for cards & cocktails.  I've often thought of making this a bit thicker with other cheeses and stuffing boneless chicken breasts with it.  One of these days I'll try it.


The recipe that follows includes tweaks I have done over the years.  Feel free to use whatever versions of cream cheese and mayonnaise you prefer, such as low fat, fat free or whatever.  If you'd rather use fresh jalapenos, you can do that too.  I use the jarred because I can get a 24 oz. jar of sliced ones for about $2.  Let me know if you try it and what you think!


Jalapeno Popper Dip

2 (8 ounce) packages cream
cheese, softened
1 cup mayonnaise
1 (4 ounce) can chopped 
green chilies, drained
1/8 to 1/4 cup jarred Jalapenos, chopped well (I eyeball it, use more or less depending on your tastes.

3/4 cup parmesan cheese
Stir together cream cheese and mayonnaise in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in green chiles, jalapeno peppers and 1/2 the parmesan cheese.  Spread into a baking dish ( 4"x 8" glass pan works well) Top with remaining parmesan cheese.  Add a light layer of bread crumbs or finely crushed ritz crackers to the top.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.  Serve with tortilla chips, crusty bread pieces or crackers.




2 comments:

  1. Alison, that looks yummy and would make a great addition to the Superbowl menu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I commented on your questions. I was going to email you so you would know, but didn't see a way to do that. :) But I'm glad I stopped by for this recipe! I love spicy food too (and sweets unfortunately.)

    ReplyDelete