Sunday, February 5, 2012

SuperBowl Sunday!

When I was a kid we had a pretty rigid menu of things my Mom would cook each week.  I swear we ate mashed potatoes 5 nights a week!  To this day, I am not a fan of mashed potatoes .. don't get me wrong, I will eat them .. just don't make them but once a week or less.   I remember things my Mother made that I absolutely loved such as cream puffs (eclair type goodies), lemon meringue pie, pickles ...   I do remember many things I was "made" to eat, because that's what was for dinner ... Liver was one of those things acckk! 

Saturday nights were hot dogs and beans night ... and in the warm weather, when my step dad's father would be around (he lived just outside of Chicago from mid September to April) the Lawrence Welk show would follow dinner ..  I hated Saturday nights, not because of dinner .. but because I couldn't watch what I wanted.

Baked beans is one of my favorite foods.  Up until a few years ago, I only ate the canned ones.  I had never had homemade.  I bought myself one of those fancy cast iron dutch ovens with the intent to make my own ..   I searched the internet until I found this gem ...

Durgin Park Restaraunt Boston Baked Beans


This recipe ROCKS and is well worth the effort.  I always double the batch and add cocktail franks during the last hour.  My only tweak ?  I used bacon instead of salt pork.

I hadn't made them yet this winter, so I figured SuperBowl Sunday was the perfect time!  Go Patriots!!

This picture is before the addition of the cocktail franks ...



This is after ... Oh yeah baby!!


Happy Sunday everyone!

2 comments:

  1. check out the recipe link and this recipe's history!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alison, thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for your kind comment.
    I have made baked beans from scratch before, and they were so much better than the ones I remembered from my childhood.
    I remember eating Hungarian Goulash one too many times! Lol! And we always had cabbage rolls, another one of my "not" favorites. What I loved that I remember was my mom's Sunday roast dinner! Now that was tasty!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete